Eating Healthy During Pregancy
What Should You Eat?
A healthy diet is especially important during pregnancy because your baby receives all its nourishment from you. It is important that you refrain from dieting or making drastic food changes; just eat a variety of nutritious and balanced food.
Avoid eating foods that are a known health hazard during pregnancy and stay well-hydrated. With a few exceptions, you can continue to eat all the foods you normally enjoy.
Tips for Eating Healthy During Pregnancy
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables as they provide vitamins, minerals and fiber which help digestion and prevent constipation.
- Starchy foods like whole-wheat bread, potatoes, brown rice, pasta and breakfast cereals are an important part of your diet. These are high fiber foods and good for your digestion. The body takes longer to break them down and they will also help you to feel full for longer and give you energy.
- Lean meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, beans and pulses are good sources of nutrients.
- Dairy foods like low fat milk, cheese and yogurt contain calcium and other nutrients needed for the development of your baby’s teeth and bones.
- Cut down on sugary or fatty foods and drinks that contain caffeine because they are high in kilojules and can cause excessive weight gain.
- Cook all meat and poultry thoroughly to avoid toxoplasmosis infection.
- Wash fruit, vegetables and salads to remove all traces of soil.
- Cook eggs thoroughly until the whites and yolks are solid, to prevent the risk of Salmonella food poisoning.
Get all the information you need in the
Hello World A Baby’s Journey.